About Our Philosophy and Approach
We are a progressive, project based tuition free K-8 charter school in the Conejo Valley emphasizing the development of the whole child.
What you can expect to see in our classrooms:
- We thoughtfully integrate social emotional learning into our school community through a school-wide social emotional curriculum, through daily council, and through conflict resolution.
- Our teachers have been trained in community circle and council by the Ojai Foundation.
- Our behavior management focuses on pro-active strategies that enhance intrinsic motivation to learn and succeed.
- In the classroom, we incorporate creative, effective teaching methods which include project-based assignments, hands-on activities, differentiation, and flexibility while meeting (and often exceeding) the Common Core State Standards, NEXT Generation Science Standards (NGSS), and Appendices.
- Our K-8 school is an intentionally small, safe, and positive learning community where teachers and parents value whole child education.
- Parent volunteers are utilized in our classrooms, and we seek to offer many ways to integrate families meaningfully into our school.
- We focus on sustainability and health. We provide learning opportunities that promote responsibility to our community and ourselves: through healthy eating habits, environmental education and stewardship that will prepare students for success in the green economy of the future.